
Another experience to check of my Life List. Tomorrow will be my last day waiting tables at J.Alexanders. I had always been curious as to the behind the scenes operations of a restaurant, so when we moved to Texas I applied at several upscale restaurants, with the intention that if I was going to wait tables, I wanted to work at a top notch establishment. In each interview, the same two questions arose. The first being, "So you haven't waited tables before?", as if they were stricken by my ambition to apply at the best of the best as a "first-timer", and secondly " You have a college degree and you want to do this why?". My response to that was simply that I wanted to experience the other end of the dining experience. Brady and I enjoy dining out, but I now wanted to see how it all comes together. When I began at J.Alexanders, I must admit I was very overwhelmed by all there was to learn. I had two weeks of diligent studying, written tests, and training before I was allotted my own tables. It's no surprise that I had to re-take the alcohol test a few times before passing. My eyes were definitely opened to the strategerie behind quality food and service, and the complexity of the process itself. My co

llege studies never included table side wine service or table specking efficiency, but my Mass Communication degree gets full credit for my guest personability and my rewarding tip percentages... for the most part. I did have a few very unpleasant, under appreciative guests, who made me wonder how they live with themselves, but I served many more delightful diners that made it difficult for me to resist joining them at the table. I fell particularly fond of a few of our regular diners, and developed some great friendships with many of my co-workers. I am very glad that I had this experience, and I highly recommend doing things you have a inkling to try, even if you feel under or over qualified for that matter, there is always something to be learned from any experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment