Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Foodies


It doesn't take long to figure out that Brady and I love great food. We talk about, dream about, read about, pray about, and of course eat food. In fact, the first thing we ever did together was visit over a great authentic Mexican meal, and I remember thinking how nice it was to dine with someone who sought after quality food the way I do. We now spend lots of our time together in the kitchen, cooking up all types of delicious meals. These are usually very nutritious and flavorful dishes made from fresh ingredients and a little bit of dirty work... things can get pretty messy sometimes, but the outcome is always something worth savoring. We love experimenting with different spices and finding ways to make typical American grub into delightfully enriching fare. One of our favorite desserts is avocado pudding... yep, you heard me AVOCADO! I just whipped up a batch and it is so good that I felt compelled to share the recipe, so that others may experience this creamy chocolate euphoria. I first got the recipe from a raw food class several years ago, and have since had fun experimenting with different variations. The basic recipe is as follows:

Avocado Pudding

Ingredients:
1. 2 large (or 3 sm/md) creamy avocados (It is very important that the avocados be not firm or squishy, but slightly soft to the touch, a spoon should slide through it with ease. Too firm and it will turn out gritty, and too soft it will have leave a pungent taste. I usually buy one extra just in case I cut it open and it is bruised or too firm.)
2. about a 1/2 C of Agave Nectar ( This is similar to honey, but has a milder flavor and smoother consistency. Adjust sweetness to preference.)
3.1/2C to 2/3C of unsweetened cocoa or carob powder.
4. 1 scant Tbs of vanilla extract (not artificial)
5. 1/4 C of milk (soy, almond, rice, coconut.... doesn't matter)
6. a dash of ground cinnamon
7. dried coconut flakes or slices almonds for garnish

Directions:
Put all ingredients (1-6) in blender, but only half of the milk and blend on med-low for 1 minute, stopping to scrape down sides and add a remaining milk and additional sweetener if necessary. Once pudding has a thick, smooth and creamy consistency, spoon pudding back into empty avocado shells and sprinkle with coconut or almonds. cover and refrigerate for a few hours. will keep refrigerated for 2 days. Bask in the pleasure of indulging in your healthy creation, laden with antioxidants, immune support, healthy fats, and satisfying flavor.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm... This looks good and different. I bet Dave would love it. And me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, is the Agave Nectar something I can find at a regular grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most Grocery stores carry Agave these days. It is usually stocked near the maple syrup or in the health food department and looks similar to honey. If you cant find it at your big chain grocer, check at any health food store. If there are different grades available, the lighter grade works best for the pudding. Let me know how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, Josie. I LOVE it. Mine is chilling in the fridge right now, but I had a taste after I blended everything. So good! You and I should cook together more often. ;) I cant wait to taste it when it's done chilling.

    ReplyDelete