Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Riverwalk Walk

Wow, today I had so much fun! One great thing lead to another... little planning involved. Sometimes those are the best days. The days when I just let it all come together, without too much planning or expectations. I woke up this morning, grabbed my Yoga mat and headed downtown to Synergy Yoga Studio. The Studio was built under the historical Pearl Brewery of San Antonio, so it has very interesting architecture including the ceiling which is encompassed by an enormous beer keg that once served as a reservoir for the brewery back in 1883. The class was very refreshing and energizing, but I was ready for some sustenance. To my surprise, right across the street was a great new restaurant called Farm to Table. Their menu consists of an array of locally derived foods, and they were happy to tell me that the turkey on my 1/2 a turkey sandwich came from the meat smokehouse just down the road, who uses only locally raised fowls. It was a very tasty brunch and a ate every last bite. I walked out of the cafe and started following the Saturday crowds down the walkway, not sure where they were headed. This brought me to the Farmers Market, which are on of my greatest passions; I often dream of having a booth of my own someday, selling crooked cucumbers or Brady's handmade tortillas. There were so many great vendors, and I just wanted to buy something from every single one of them! My recent readings from "Animal Vegetable Miracle" made me evermore appreciate the great efforts and ethics behind every single product. I bought some local home smoked bison jerky to take to Brady (a good baseball game snack) and a crisp curly cucumber from a jubilant farm lady. At the end of the market was an access path to the famous Riverwalk. Although we have lived here for several months, I have yet to walk more than 10 minutes of it. With my camera in hand I walked three miles along side the peacefully winding river, admiring the plants, birds, and interesting art pieces. I eventually came into the heart of the city were I once worked,and visited Waxy O'Connors for a late lunch. Waxy's is an Irish Pub, so my Irish Flank Steak Sandwich on Rye was accompanied by live Irish music and dancing. In honor of my Irish roots I volunteered to join the group for the "Diners Dance", and although It was fun, I am now certain that Riverdancing is out of the question. The long walk back to my car was just as beautiful although seemingly twice as hot. My camera strap stuck to my neck and sweat dripped from the creases of my elbows, but today I didn't seem to mind, I was too busy trying to soak up every last drop of San Antonio before we move to Dallas. I couldn't have planned the day better myself, my legs are dead, my belly is full, and I have a smile on my face!

No comments:

Post a Comment