I really never thought of it that way, "Trying again" that is. It's a process I would usually associate with wasting of time or money, frustration, disappointment, failure, embarrassment etc., but I have recently been urged to think a little differently. I have a quote by Thomas S. Monson posted on my wall, conveniently next to my goals, which reads:
"Our task is to become our best selves. One of God's greatest gifts to us is the joy of trying again, for no failure ever need be final."
This perspective really puts me in a good place, it is comforting to know that failure can bring joy, because it happens to us every day in one way or another. Sometimes we burn dinner, pay our bills late, forget an appointment, or hurt someone we love, but it is great to know that making amends with those "screw ups" that happen, can bring joy into our lives. Exactly how to incorporate those joyful thoughts amidst a real mess of a situation, I am not so sure, but I trust it can be done.
I think most of us have been told we should "stick to our guns", "fight for what we want","chase our dreams"... but when things don't go as planned, I see now that it can be part of "the plan". We don't always get what we want in life, or I'd be a billionaire hippie woman lounging in a beach bungalow with a few kids and my man Brady, eating coconuts right off the tree at this very moment! But as long as we keep at it we can find happiness, which ultimately is the sweetest gift. And when we are happy, we are much more inclined to be our "best selves" as well... two birds with one stone!
Tuesday, June 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Josie, I LOVE this! Thanks for sharing this thought. I especially love the quote by Pres. Monson - I think I'm going to print that quote out and hang it somewhere!
ReplyDeleteAlso, I love how you described how it would be if you got all you wanted in life (being a billionaire hippie woman...). hahaha! That is SO you, and quite frankly, me too. :) Love you!
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteYou are very wise for your young age. I love your perspective of life and I LOVE your food stories! I really want to make the Oatmeal Bombs.
ReplyDeleteSince you are crazy about food like I am, let me tell you what my husband and I did this weekend. We drove 303 mile to Yakima (round trip from Sammamish) to buy these delicious Asparagus Tamales we saw featured on TV. Let me tell you the long ride was worth every single bite. I'm recreating my own version of Asparagus Tamales and when I perfect my recipe, I will share it with you. Keep on writing!
Jacquie, you are such a loyal reader (: I love your guts you know that! I know, that quote is so great isn't it? You should totally hang it up. I would just love to have you come live in our super deluxe beach bungalow and crack coconuts with us... that would be the day!
ReplyDeleteCarmen, thank you for your kind complements! You are one sweet lady! The Granola Bombs where definitely great, and I have many requests for the recipe but unfortunately, I was cooking by inspiration that night and failed to write any of it down... I think the main think was that I cut the oil/butter content way down so they were more dry and crumbly... perfect portioned clusters to break apart over greek yogurt or throw into my purse! That excursion you described is right up my ally and I am so glad you shared it with me. Brady and I have also gone to great lengths for specific culinary experiences... the journey always makes the food taste better, i swear! I can't wait for you to post the recipe... do you have a blog?
ReplyDeleteAlso, if you are ever in St. George please stay at my house and we will cook something yummy together!